Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a simple springtime dinner just for the girls


i'm married to a meat & potatoes man
so if we have an evening at home when he's out & about
i try to serve something that i know the girls will love
but he won't feel like he's missing out.

since we're up to our ears in party planning together anyway,
sweet bailey came & joined us for the dinner.
& of course, she fell right into place when i told her i'd need 
a quick little shot of her plate.
what a gem!


the salad recipe is from a sweet friend of mine & was served at her bridesmaids luncheon
years ago.
it's been a favorite ever since.

~ oriental salad ~
 1 head napa cabbage shredded
5 green onions chopped
(i add red cabbage too)

2 ounces (or to your liking) sliced almonds
1/2 jar sesame seeds
1 package of ramen noodles ( crumble these & do not use seasoning)
brown the above three in 1/2 c butter

dress just prior to serving with:
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c vinegar
1/2 c oil
1 tbsp soy sauce

(we also added a little grilled chicken)

enjoy!









we also enjoyed some delish zucchini muffins.
i think the green shredded pieces in the muffins had the girls a tad skeptical
but they loved them.
every last one.
they are sweet with a very moist consistency.



recipe found here


~zucchini muffins~

3 cups shredded zucchini
3 eggs
2 c sugar
1 c oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

mix first seven ingredients then fold in flour, salt & baking powder.
pour into muffin pans or loaf pan
bake at 350 for 25 minutes
yields 2 dozen








 we're trying to enjoy dinners out on the back porch
before the scorching days of summer get here.
honestly, i don't think they're far away!



ps. on a funny side note, caroline found out dan wouldn't be home the other night.
she requested another meal of "healthy springtime chick food" for dinner.
"to help me perform well on my crct"!
hilarious!

23 comments:

traci said...

that dinner looks right up my alley. i like eating light at dinnertime. i tend to want to pig out at lunch. i definitely will be making that salad. thanks for sharing. the muffins look pretty good too.

Jboo said...

That looks yummy-- you ARE a foodie, aren't you! The drinks look good too! :)

We got your hot weather early -- may hit 100 here in Nebraska today and then 60 tomorrow! Fun weather times!

Do you think I could add chocolate chips to those muffins!?!!

Janet

Katiebee said...

hi paige~
love the pictures and thanks for the recipes! looks like such a fun dinner~

xo

katie

Love Being A Nonny said...

Love this kind of dinner!

Honestly, I love EVERY post you do. If I commented every time you would know how much I stalk your blog!!! :) Your girls and the photos of them are so lovely!

christina said...

see, i so have to make, this salad!! yummy!

honey,
the plate, bailey, is holding... i must know where they came from- or are they your special china? i think they are just beautiful. do tell, please.
xoxo

vintage girl at heart said...

looks yummy!
yumola even!
we make the zuke muffins too and shredded sweet 'taters too......try 'em they are fabulous!
enjoy these days!
blessings~

Shannon said...

My mother in law made me a huge supply of the same type of salad when I came home from the hospital with both of the girls. I crave that stuff now! I'm going to have make those zuchinni muffins to trick my girls into eating some good veggies. Thanks for sharing :)

Rebecca said...

As always ~ a beautiful post. This salad is one of my favorites.

Meredith said...

I love that salad! I was able to find the Savannah honey in Tyler, TX this weekend at the Fresh grocery store. That stuff it good! I got the orange blossom honey! I can't wait to make mojitos with it!

Tiffini said...

you are precious and such an inspiration to me. I look so forward to your recipes. I am picking up cooking again and your recipes are always good! I try them:) thinking eating on the back porch would be just the thing tonight that would bring more beauty into my day!
xo

Alecia said...

Looks DELISH! And...how cute is Caroline! ;-)

elisa said...

yum! It all looks so good!

Wish it would stop raining here so we could eat dinner on the porch! I'm jealous.

Micah Jamie said...

That is my favorite salad! I love to throw a little crumbled blue cheese, grilled shrimp and cayenne pepper in the mix to kick it up a notch! SOOO good. thanks for muffin recipe, can't wait to try it.

3 Peanuts said...

I love healthy springtime chic food...can I come over too?

Anonymous said...

That salad sounds soooo good right now! Thanks for sharing:)

Angela said...

I shall have to make this but the thing that struck me most about the picture was that you were sitting as a family quietly eating and sharing your day!!! Keep up the good work girl!!!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love a good salad. Your photographs are so pretty.

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

YUMM-O! This looks delish! This is something my super health concious husband would definitely eat. I am going put this on my list for next week's dinners! Hope y'all are having a great week!

LuLu said...

Dinners like this are my absolute favorite....
Can I come over for the next chick dinner!!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I have to make it! Darling porch picture of the girls!!! Your home is so much fun,
xo,
LuLu

Sheri said...

Set another plate, I'm on my way. Gotta love a "girls dinner" - you are awesome Paige! :)

Sogni Siciliani said...

That is the best salad ever!!! I have had it before but never had the recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!!
Good luck with the party plannning!!!

Jodee said...

I am married to Mr. Meat and Potatoes too! However, I prefer pasta and salad! That oriental salad looks fabulous! I love to eat outside too!

Enjoy your nice weather! It was 100 degrees here today! Yuck!

Paige said...

I have been following your blog for awhile and have tried many of the recipes... this is one I have made for years now and I wanted to give one tip... the leftoever salad makes a great stirfry the next night!