Thursday, April 05, 2012

sweet boy & good friday


yesterday afternoon caroline & i headed over to athens.
we were hooking up with savannah and three of her best girlfriends for a little
friendship/noonday photoshoot.
we were forecast to have rain so i felt like i was racing with the devil to get there
& get some shots in.
basically the clouds moved on & we ended up with a gorgeous sunset
& a gorgeous spring night.

i'll be back next week to share some of these gorgeous girls
in all their Noonday glory.


got home late last night to find out my brinkley had been throwing up
& unable to go to the bathroom.
that followed a fitful night of sleep where
each time he moved , i woke up.
& he whimpered to go outside
multiple times ( very out of character)
& tried to "go" each time.

i called our vet first thing in the morning & was able to get him in pronto.
they love him there.
love him.
they ran blood work
(negative for pancreatitis, common in goldens)
& xrays were taken.
xrays were inconclusive for obstruction, which was & still is my fear.
(i lost a black lab years ago to this issue).

the vet felt he didn't present as an obvious obstruction case
& that since he looked stable
& that to open him up for surgery 
while it could be done
didn't seem the prudent choice.
we brought him home & have been feeding him rice, cottage cheese
yogurt and green beans.
he's been able to keep that down but still is unable to go.
we threw him some tennis balls-his favorite activity on the planet
& it's clear , he's not 100%.





i tell you what.
i just don't know how to suck it up & act all good
when things like this happen.
fear eats me alive.
i guess i love big
& i love wide open.
therefore when those i love are in jeopardy
it's a huge, almost unattainable quest
for me to trust that things will be ok.
i also realize that for many, "he's just a dog".
but for me, he's far from that.
i've been fuzzy all day & just a distracted wreck.
plus, i clearly don't function well on little to no sleep.

i praying he sleeps well & is better in the morning.
if not, surgery may be the next step.

we have tickets for the Good Friday service
which is nothing short of an amazing contemplation of the cross
& worship service.
powerful, so powerful, & beautiful celebration of our Jesus
& his death and Resurrection.
(caroline made this little diptych from some of my iphone images).

i'm praying that brinkley is all better tomorrow
& that i'm able to attend what has been one of my favorite events of the year.
we truly have so much to be thankful for this Easter.

~~

"By your wounds we are healed
  You have conquered the grave
And in your rising, we will rise
To carry your name
Above every name "
christy nockels


26 comments:

mapleandmagnolia said...

Paige, praying hard for Brinkley. From one golden lover to another...they are SO not just a dog. Hugs, susan

Jodee said...

You poor thing. I hope Brinkley feels better soon. Sending furry hugs your way!

Anonymous said...

Praying Brinkley is better for you..

Unknown said...

Praying for your furry friend.....{and for a restful night of sleep for your both}
xo~Jill

Jodi said...

Oh, Paige! My heart sinks...I am exactly the same way! They are not "just a dog" to me..they are family and it's so hard when they are not feeling well. I hope and pray that he is feeling better tomorrow, but then you may always wonder what the heck was the deal! But,...I DO hope that he gets to feeling better! :)
Take care....Jodi

Debra said...

The people who say they are 'just a dog' don't have dogs. They are part of your family. I sure hope he is feeling better soon.

Susan R said...

I hope Brinkley will be playing and back to his slef soon. Is it possible to give him something to help him "go"? Rice and cottage cheese are probably easier for him to digest, but kind of binding if you know what I mean.
Poor puppy....I'm praying for him.

Shauna said...

Hope it will be a better night, and that Brinkley feels better ;)

Debby said...

Feel better Brinkley. (((((HUGS)))) and prayers.

JenP said...

Poor Brinkley! Praying for a quick recovery and for you to be able to enjoy the Good Friday service!

Lindsey said...

Hope Brinkley is feeling better this morning so y'all can enjoy a wonderful Easter!! Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures from the noonday shoot!

Jen Kershner said...

Millie and I send our love and prayers for you and Brinkley. I know how hard these things are. Keep us updated?

How in the world could anyone think he is just a dog? I know better.

Anonymous said...

I too am a dog lover...They are family, not dogs. Praying that Brinkley will be back to his ole' precious self soon.

Kelly said...

Praying this Easter weekend good things for Brinkley. We are on our third golden. Our current one is 5 months old. We put our last one down last November. Sobbing, I said I will never do this again and 2 months later Grace came to her forever home. The picture of you trying to feed him and the look on his face brings back a flood of memories. She just stopped eating due to Leptospirosis which she contracted from a skunk. Please keep us posted. I often show others your blog when you post pictures of him. He is a handsome boy.Grace and peace this Easter and always.

Anonymous said...

Oh Paige,
I pray that your sweet boy will be feeling better soon!! I am the same way, when somethings wrong with the one's I love, I can't function either!!
And he is not "just a dog", he is your family, so I completely understand!!
I hope things get better and that you and your family have a joyous Easter!
Sincerely,
Melinda

Kelli said...

That service comes just at a time that you need Him. I know he's so much more than just a dog to you. I pray he gets better and that you all get some answers. Have a wonderful Easter :)

chrissiwithab said...

Adding to the prayers for Brinkley. So hard to see our other "kids" not feel well. Take care.

3 Peanuts said...

I will pray for Brinkley. Our dogs are part of the family. I get it. Hope he is feeling better ASAP.

Kim

AndeM1 said...

Praying for Brinkley...he is more that just a dog...(we have 2).....
Hugs
Andrea

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Awww... please give your sweet doggy a hug for me. :) I totally understand your feelings right now. Praying he is much better SOON.

Tiffany said...

oh paige -- its so hard to not be able to help them or fix them when they are hurting!

hope Brinkley gets better soon!

Enjoy your weekend!
xoTiffany

Amanda Pilkinton said...

Praying for your dog. I hate when my animals are sick, you feel helpless. The Good Friday service looks awesome! Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Hoping Brinkley is doing better. I know that sinking feeling when our beloved pets don't feel well. We have rescued, rehabilitated and rehomed many foster Goldens to their forever homes and I loved each and every one of them - but as hard as it was placing them, I knew for each one that found its forever home meant we could open ours up to save yet another. Can you add some cooked ground beef to that mixture? that is what the University of Illinois small animal teaching hospital recommended to us when one of our Goldens was sick. Teresa goldsunseeker

Anonymous said...

I can say for sure he definitely isn't "just a dog" and he isn't even my dog. Saying a prayer for Brinkley, and that you feel peace. Will be checking in on him and I won't feel fully peaceful myself until you report all is well.

Louise

martha said...

Brinkley update ? So hope he is doing ok...i have our golden Duchess this week, and my daughters 2 yellow labs while they are away this week, 3 dog week! Busy, but i love it!!

Art and Sand said...

I never understand how anyone can say "just a dog" when they are family members. It is killing me to just watch ours age so I can't imagine watching my baby suffer. My prayers are with you.