Tuesday, April 24, 2012

courage

"Courage is not the absence of fear,
 but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. 
The brave may not live forever,
 but the cautious do not live at all"

caroline was watching Princess Diaries the other day
while i was working.
i overheard the portion of the movie where Mia is reading the letter
her daddy, the prince of Genovia wrote to her
as quoted above.

i sat & pondered that quote.
as you know, i battle with fear.
years ago i remember being so strong that i proudly
carried the "pull your bootstraps up & get on with it" attitude.
maybe it's age
maybe it's the realization of the frailty of our lives
but i feel much more vulnerable now
than i did back in those days.

i sometimes think back & wonder
where that girl went. the one who fearlessly lived.
who worked multiple jobs, seemingly effortlessly
& never seemed tired.
i know she's still in here with me,
she's just walked through the valley of the shadow a few times
& seen loved ones go on before her
& watched others battle so many hard trials.
she's fought her own battles too
thankfully never alone.




my favorite photographer of all time,
the one who most certainly planted the seed of loving beautiful images
in my heart,
posted this on fb the other day.
i grew up with him taking our family photos &
then was blessed to have him photograph both my weddings.
such an amazing photographer!
the above shot was what he envisioned
& then entered in a contest years ago.
she's the one who was fearless
 so i thought ya'll would get a kick out of seeing that image!

~~~

i have a couple friends who are really in a tough place right now.
they feel alone & somedays abandoned
questioning how much longer
& why.
i see their bravery and courage in the face of adversity
many of the friends around them oblivious to the challenge they have ahead of them every day.
our worship leader at our church posted this last night
 & i was mesmerized not only buy the beauty of the video
but the lyrics just washed over my heart...
so i post this today to share with them
& pray it ministers to you too.

{{He's faithful forever
perfect in love
He is sovereign over us
even what the enemy means for evil
He turns for our good
& for His glory.
even in the valley He is faithful

His plan is still to prosper
He has not forgotten us
He is with us in the fire & the flood....
faithful forever
He is sovereign over us}}



19 comments:

Alecia said...

What a wonderful post...that song is GORGEOUS.

Love the pic of that fearless woman...I still believe you are fearless...in Christ! :-)

Between You and Me said...

oh my goodness...that song was used of GOD in a mighty way in my heart just now.

I'm certainly waiting on God in a couple of things that I've been waiting on for a long time....needed to be reminded that HE IS SOVEREIGN in our waiting.

Home: Inside and Out said...

Oh! Your timing is incredible. I needed that right at this moment. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post. Fears of my own. Thank you for your words and this song.

Psalm 34:4

Amanda

just ask beth said...

I am having angst also..I was always so strong..having lost both parents at a young age within 5years of each other.. I constantly worry..but I remember someone telling me years ago..the Devil is worry..trust in the Lord!

Deborah said...

Paige, I also suffer with fear. This spoke directly to my heart today. Thank you for sharing.

Love the picture.

Cheryl said...

Courage. I have to search for it each day. Somedays are much easier than others. I give things to God, and then unknowingly take them back.
Thank you for this post. I always need a reminder.
PS The photograph is hauntingly beautiful!

Lolo @ The Adventures of Stig and Lolo said...

Paige! Your photo is absolutely amazing. Stunning! You are a gorgeous soul inside and out :)
Courage is such a hard fought journey in ourselves, isnt it? I am constantly fighting with myself to improve and become a better person....
Thank you for this post my dear!!
XOX

Tiffany said...

Thank you Paige, with a big hug - thank you!

I am in a transition with life right now and reading this and watching this - really blessed me and encouraged me!

Thank you!
Blessings back to you!
xoTiffany

Debby said...

Such a moving video......made me cry but a good cry. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

Ruth said...

This post is exactly what I needed today. Things have been difficult lately. Uncertainty looms, adversity and questioning when it will be over. Waiting on the Lord and His mighty promises today.
Thank you for another blessed post.
Ruth

Mrs. Dunbar said...

I love the line of the song, "You are working in our waiting," so so often I forget this. His timing is always so perfect, too bad we can't always tell how much this is true +on this side of the waiting. Thanks for the inspiring song.

Anonymous said...

This post is so up my alley today. I wanted to join a womans golf league and the dinner is about an hour. Im frozen and just cant find the courage to go. To go alone. I have not golfed in years but thought it would be fun to meet new women to get back into it again. To take time for me. Instead Im sitting here doing what I do. Procrastinating change. Fearing judgement. Frozen in the daily doings with no room for growth. Why? I have no idea. I was the girl 20 years ago. 3 jobs never tired never afraid. Didnt care if I was judged. Now Im not that girl. Im even going to sign in as anonymous so I cant be judged here. What the hell is wrong with me? :)

gabrielle said...

Wow!! That was beautiful!!

Thankyou!!

Object of Maya*ffection said...

Thank you Paige for posting that....I am in a similar place right now - afraid to make the wrong decisions and choices because I feel like I have made too many mistakes BUT in the process I am NOT living....thanks for letting me know I am not alone!

Elegant Economies said...

Thank you! Needed this reminder! He is Sovereign and He is good!

Jodi said...

Wonderful post, Paige! I really needed that right now!

Hugs!
Jodi

Kat said...

Paige, that photograph is positively stunning. You are are beautiful, both inside and out. Love you, sweet friend!

Charissa Steyn said...

Thank you for sharing that beautiful song!! I loved it...played it a couple times this morning!