Tuesday, October 04, 2011

it's not all about me, thoughts on a daily jog

brinkley is my constant companion. we usually run together several days a week.
last year while training for my half, the vet instructed me to limit brink's runs to only about 3 miles per day.
he told me, he's a pleaser. he's going to run with you as far as you want him to. he'll not complain. but it's not good for a big dog, especially one prone to hip dysplasia to run such long distances.

our runs are on a busy street. i try to be aware of glass or things on the sidewalk that could hurt him. it's not unusual for me to glance down every once in a while to make sure he looks ok , that he's not limping and that i don't see any bleeding from his feet.

sunday afternoon it was a gorgeous fall day. we were only running a couple of miles & as usual he stayed right beside me. he never slows me down or speeds me up. he's just with me. a constant pleaser.

it wasn't until i got home and realized within a few minutes, he was leaving bloody prints all through the kitchen. sure enough, he had albeit a small laceration, it was a deep one. he laid perfectly still while i cleaned his wound and applied pressure to stop the bleeding.

i felt so bad.
i saw some glass on the sidewalk but hoped we'd missed it. ( i do usually try to move it off the path).  if that's where he hurt his foot, it was about a mile from our home. & i'm not even sure if he hurt it on the way coming or going. all i knew was that he never stopped, never "complained". just kept running. right beside me. at my pace. the pleaser.

later that evening i was thinking about how much i love this sweet breed & this sweet doggy in particular. i remembered what the vet said....he'll just keep going, he won't complain. he's a pleaser.
i started thinking...are there people in my life who feel the same?
children? spouse? a friend?
do i cause someone to feel like they have to please me?
they have to keep going....at my pace, no less?
pleasing me and meeting whatever expectations i've set?

i think our generation is such a driven generation.
accomplishments & drive always on the forefront of our day.
our children have practice for soccer and tennis and football and ballet and SAT and college applications
they just keep going
but do we cause them to keep up with our pace? our daily run?


my life
my expectations
my wishes & dreams
my blog for that matter....
it's not all about me.
& i sure don't want to cause my girls to think they have to "be" something, to be pleasers, at all costs.

my prayer today is that i have a sensitivity for those who i'm blessed to have in my life.
a sensitivity to listen to them, to listen to their expectations, wishes & dreams
& champion them on
not just take them along on, what can often times be mediocre, my jog through life.

it's not all about me

~~~~~~

I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. 
This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. 
This is the very best way to love. 
Put your life on the line for your friends.
You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father. 
john 15. 11-13


26 comments:

sara@augustfields said...

paige...this is a beautiful prayer to pray daily. i truly believe others in front of myself, and God in first place always is such a more rewarding way to live.

i also hope your dog's foot heals quickly :)

Deanna said...

I needed that reminder....sometime I am going so fast so determined to get there that I forget to stop and look to see if those journeying with me are ok.

Beautiful.

One Woman's Thoughts said...

You touched my heart today. Beautiful.

Amy R. said...

Wow, I so relate to your runs with your sweet dog. Mine is a great partner too. Thanks for the great reminder to be sensitive to our kids needs and dreams and not just pull them along. I needed to hear that! I love reading your blog!

Jboo said...

Great post! A lovely golden jumped on our hayrack ride to the pumpkin patch last Saturday and made me think of your sweet Brinkley! I ran this morning in the dark and oops, turned my ankle going from sidewalk to street due to construction work. My girl is definitely a pleaser, so I need to be very careful and remember that -- thanks for the timely reminder!

Janet

Kelli said...

Your sweet dog :) You sure do know how to make a story so captivating. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today as they really hit home for me.

Lou said...

Paige - I found this particularly poignant today...I wonder too whether the expectations I set are actually exhausting me and every one around me. Your doggie is so gorgeous and I love that he is called Brinkley - was that in line with 'You've got mail?'. I am getting used to being a puppy owner - and look forward to the day he can come running with me. I will bear your advice in mind though... Lou x

Jennifer said...

I needed this reminder today. Thank you!

Heather said...

Thanks for a beautiful post, Paige. This topic has been on my heart lately with all that's going on in our lives, especially with all the girls commitments and our family expectations. I have wondered, Do I expect too much? And do I give enough in return? Am I always giving my ALL to both the Lord and my family. I sure hope so and would like to believe so, but some days are just harder than others. Our sermon this week also touched on this and following Jesus with ALL your heart. Beautiful leaves too. Looks like Fall is coming to Atlanta. We are still behind here in Texas. :)

Susan R said...

Beautifully said my friend.
Poor puppy...nearly broke my heart. I love that guy and he's not even mine. What loyalty.
I needed to hear those words, especially today.

christina said...

i will keep this beside my heart.
xo

Patty Marker said...

Thank you Paige. I needed to hear this today. Patty

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

SO precious!! Such a great reminder. Loved the encouragement today. xoxo

Shannon said...

What a great post Paige! Love dogs and how no matter what they are always our #1 fans. Hope Brinkley is doing better and thank you for another one of your inspiring posts :)

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

fabulous post and reminder. thank you, Paige.

lea
xo

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful post. Thank you so much.

Kimberly said...

Goldens are my fave too Paige ... so faithful. Praying Brinkley's foot heals ASAP :)

Amelia said...

Love this blog post....thank you...needed to hear this:) You are absolutely precious and a constant encouragement.

Sharla said...

Thanks for sharing and reminding me to look around more. I just had a conversation with my 7-year old boy last week and he told me while he wanted to play baseball he thought his dad would also be upset if he didn't. I stopped right there and told him he can't do everything and we'll have to make decisions as he gets older. It was an eye opener for sure!

I love that picture of your sweet Brinkley - I'm a little partial as I have two goldens :)

Privet and Holly said...

Love your heart, girlie.
Love that Brinkley!
The women in my
family have all been
pleasers; it's in our DNA.
I am trying not to pass it on.
It can be hard.
xx Suzanne
PS. Last night I dreamt that
we had a goldie; how fun
is that?

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

As always, I love your heart and echo the sentiments myself. I feel like I just wrote a similar post... though not exactly the same... mine was more wrestling with pride, but the idea is the same... we're not here for ourselves. Good things to think on, and loved hearing your words.

As to the doggie... I often think similar things with my Lucy and have had to stop running due to my recent arthritis diagnosis, while I do some phys. therapy etc. So for now, we walk. And though it takes longer, I'm so happy to have my little waggy tailed buddy alongside me.

BLessings sweet Paige!

3 Peanuts said...

great post, paige. I heard a great speaker last night who was talking about academic anxiety and she spoke exactly about this...about how we put these expectations on our kids sometimes without even knowing it. And I KNOW I have done it to my kids despite my best efforts.. I am being very cognizant of the demands that our kiddos have. She spoke about the process vs. the destination and how we ought to reward (verbally) the journey instead of the outcomes.

I am thinking that after seeing this...God is trying to really tell me something.

HUGS, Paige.

Hope the dance went well.

Kim

Alecia said...

Oh man...that story about Brinkley just broke my heart...some dogs are just so darn loyal & sweet...My lab was the same way...get well Brinkley!

Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Paige...I believe the Lord gave you His eyes for the situation with Brinkley to see it for more than it truly is...it's important to step back and evaluate what's going on in our lives...what are we putting out there as "expectations" for others...even if we aren't actually saying it? Such a great reminder.

Lindsey said...

I love how you take daily life and apply it to something totally different. Needed this today!

Jodi said...

I hope brinkley's foot heals fast and he will be running again by your side! He is such a sweety!

Great post and great prayer, my dear! :)

Jodi

{darlene} @ fieldstonehill said...

beautiful, paige. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I could speak them right along with you.

kisses to your sweet, pleasing companion.