Monday, December 06, 2010

a humble nativity scene

this time of year
i usually am on a shopping high.
i love decorating our home for Christmas & therefore
love to buy new goodies.

i always buy some new ornaments.
 maybe some new christmas dishes.
i think i've bought a new stocking for decoration the last 5 years.
bottle brush trees & little glittered village houses.
the list goes on.

this year i simplified.
really simplified.
i've purchased no new ornaments, no bright & shiney balls
no new target dishes or pottery barn glasses.
nothing.

but a few weeks ago
ruth ,wonderful proprietor of The Beautiful Life

once i read the story
i couldn't order it fast enough.

part of the cost of this nativity
would go towards purchasing a new sewing machine
for a woman in Uganda.
thus helping her support her family.
part of the money would go a young college student
towards his or her college fund
or to support their family.



 

when i saw the images
of these beautiful people
painstakingly crafting these nativity scenes
out of basically nothing
i was blown away.
tears
just tears....
as i thought what a reminder of exactly what the nativity is all about.
that Jesus
was born
in a humble stable
dirty smelly stable
for all
for everyone.

not just upper white class folks in what would one day be America.
everyone
every man &
every woman
rich or poor.


i waited anxiously for this package to arrive.
i think i'm keeping it out all year.

it's not my usual choice of white , glittery or shiney
but honestly
i think it is
 however
the most gorgeous nativity scene
i've ever seen.



i texted ruth & reminded her that i was
finally running this post.
don't hate me
but they're sold out.
which is awesome for the people in Uganda!
( i think she sold 50!)

but i still wanted to share it with you...








And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field,
keeping watch over their flock by night.

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them,
and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold,
 I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour,
which is Christ the Lord.

And this shall be a sign unto you;
Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes,
 lying in a manger.

& suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest,
 and on earth peace,
good will toward men
luke 2.8-14

29 comments:

*The Beautiful Life* said...

Oh Paige... YOUR post makes ME want to cry. Your connection between the lives of those beautiful people we're trying to help in Uganda and the lives of Joseph and Mary and of course their newborn waaaaay back when was amazing. Thank you so much, Paige! What a beautiful reminder of how sometimes we may have brought Christmas to a little too glittery level in contrast with it's true meaning.

And, I'm totally on the same page this year -- less is DEFINITELY "more" with each passing year! :)

Thank you SO much for telling about these nativities. Those sweet students would just be blown away to know they've been featured on the web this much. Love it. ;)

XOXO
Ruth

Courtney Walsh said...

This is just beautiful!! I love your nativity...and the story behind it!! I haven't purchased anything this year either and probably won't till after Christmas when I can find great sales! :)

Between You and Me said...

love this.
we have a ten thousand villages shop in winter park, fl....

i'm getting my very first nativity from there...

love the idea that hands in another nation carved the nativity that i'll have up this year...

Kristin said...

Wow...and the smiles begin.
I love this and that nativity is just beutiful.
Rich in so many ways in heart.

Unknown said...

Simply, beautiful, there's nothing better!
xo~Jill

Unknown said...

Paige, this is beautiful and the story behind it. so amazingly crafted and how good that it helps those who really need it. i love to keep things simple but i admit to giving into the wanting of things. thank you for the beautiful reminder you sweet girl! xo susan

Anonymous said...

very very sweet and special!

Farmgirl Paints said...

so very cool paige...i love how unique and different it is and for such a great cause. too bad they are sold out!

traci said...

i can understand why you ordered one right away. it is gorgeous and the story is amazing too. i love it.

i have yet to purchase any new decorating items either. i just got my decorations up yesterday.

The Flying Bee said...

Such a beautiful thing. Great post Paige!

xo,
Adrienne

Tracy ~Seeking Refinement~ said...

Paige, this is so precious. I am so blessed by your posts...always!!!

Hugs ~ xoxo

Tammy said...

Paige- I love this story! The nativity is beautiful!
I pulled out all the boxes of Christmas stuff yesterday with my daughter and am amazed at how much stuff I have...I'm also keeping it simple with just the things I truly love...this nativity would have made my list for sure!
Thanks for sharing it with us...I know you'll enjoy it all season long!
Tammy :-)
JUNK WILD

Jodee said...

That is soooo cool! Great find!

sherislowey said...

I bought one of these too. My friends church here in Brandon Florida was also selling them. I love it!!!! I will try to send you a pic of mine. Merry Christmas. Sheri p.s. Love your blog.

kimberly Taylor said...

Absolutely beautiful my friend. I love it - and would have loved to buy one for our home. There is so much meaning behind it and that is something I am striving for more and more these days. My mom does a lot of work in Uganda and is currently building an orphanage with a group of people there. It is amazing what people can do when love is in their heart~
Fabulous week to you my friend,
xx

Beth Green said...

Paige thanks so much for your blog on the Nativities. I first discovered these while in Uganda this summer. I purchased one for a friend and when one of my friends in the U. S. saw it, she said "you have to get more of these to help your ladies!" The women who are receiving sewing machines as a result of the sales from these Nativities are all part of God is Grace Ministry. This is a ministry where a woman in the U. S. supports a woman in Uganda or Zambia for a year ($40.00 a month) so that these women can learn a sustainable trade and support their families. Women who are in the God is Grace sewing classes are the ones who will receive these sewing machines. We are also helping the students who are making these Nativities by helping pay for their educations (these are very poor students who would never otherwise be able to afford to go to school)! It's been a "win win" deal! As of now, it looks like we've sold close to 85 Nativities. I am forever grateful to you for purchasing your Nativity from "The Beautiful Life" and I hope and pray that it will be forever a reminder to you of the plight of these women and students. No profit was made on these sales (thank you Ruth!)so all will go to benefiting those who need it most. Merry Christmas and may we all remember that the best gift has already been given - JESUS! Blessings!

Jboo said...

Oh Paige -- what a sweet post and inspiration! That Nativity is beautiful!

Janet

Annie said...

Oh, these are just beautiful, and so is your heartfelt post. Thank you for sharing!

Barb Allen said...

Paige-Imagine my surprise when a friend of mine stumbled on your blog and found these GEORGEOUS Nativity sets. I am as well as several friends one of the lucky ones to get one. I first saw them when another friend of mine brought a set back from Africa and I encouraged her to get more. I said to her "you can sell these!" And I could hardly take my eyes off of it. With each piece I could literally see God moving the hands of the carpenter making them. I have been intriqued by them ever since. I am so glad you posted so that others could see the creation from such a humble means.

Privet and Holly said...

You have such
a big and kind
heart, dear friend.
It would be so
easy for most
people to forget
Uganda and people
trying to make
their dreams come
true, but you,
you embrace them.
Love you and this
precious nativity.
A beautiful way to
keep it all in perspective!
xx Suzanne

Clare said...

what a beautiful story paige, and i love the nativity scene. it is so simple and perfect!!

Suzanne said...

How beautiful and simple in its truth . No shiny paint or glitter , just precious . Well done Paige to find that nativity creche !

Julie said...

beautiful! this made me all teary. I needed a quick reminded not to get stressed out about Christmas and remember the real reason we're celebrating. It's so easy to get caught up in all the fuss... Thanks, Paige. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! xo

Julie said...

beautiful! this made me all teary. I needed a quick reminded not to get stressed out about Christmas and remember the real reason we're celebrating. It's so easy to get caught up in all the fuss... Thanks, Paige. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! xo

christina said...

my friend,
this is so beautiful. the connections that are meant to be.. such a blessing. your heart will fill, knowing this is a part of your home.
xo

andrea said...

simply, great post.

Miss Gracie's House said...

priceless...

Anonymous said...

This is incredible!!

Julie said...

Thank you for your heart. My daughter has this nativity scene, and we all love it. My husband just returned from training pastors in Uganda, where he fell in love with the country and the people. Thank you for loving those the Father loves.