Tuesday, July 31, 2012

DIY for the college girl & back to school


we loaded up the car sunday & moved savannah in to her sorority house at school.
yes, school cranks up mighty soon down here 
with my other girls beginning monday!
as much as savannah loved life in the co-ed dorms at UGA
she is thrilled to be in the sorority house.

earlier this summer i posted an instagram about some crafts she created for her room.
she really enjoyed what turned out to be easy peasy creations
that are each very thoughtful in nature.



her rommate made the "he will cover you" on an 11x14 piece of wood. 
stained first & then painted.
savannah printed off an enlarged silhouette of the state of georgia
& laid it on her canvas, painted over with gold metallic acrylic
& then removed the silhouette. she then painted a heart over atlanta/athens area.
the smaller 4x6 canvas with the lyre, the symbol for her sorority.
again using gold metallic craft paint.

then she made these beauties after being inspired by a similar craft on
pinterest.
she took 2 11x14 stretched canvas & painted over them with a gold/bronze metallic craft paint.
she then laid removable sticky letters down
to form the words from this famous hymm.
she then using a dry foam brush technique
painted over the gold/bronze & the letters with a creamy acrylic paint.
then removed the letters super easy without taking any paint off.


her friends went nuts.
wouldn't these be awesome in 24x36 format too?

so crafted more.
she made bailey & her roommate at ole' miss
each a canvas with their favorite scripture
done in the same technique, just different colors.


savannah made herself the psalm 103 to add to her menagerie of
other goldy metallic crafts for her room.



you might recall my own DIY jewelry board from this post
which was done on a large 24x36 cork board.
savannah's room isn't large enough for that size 
so she crafted one, with the help of dan, a tad smaller.
we used the door knob thingies from hobby lobby
& upholstery tacks around the perimeter
& then just push pins for the smaller pieces.
with the board being covered in burlap, earrings will easily hang freely from the fabric.

ta-da!


psalm 103. 1-5
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and all that is within me,
    bless his holy name!
  Bless the Lord, O my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits,
 who forgives all your iniquity,
    who heals all your diseases,
 who redeems your life from the pit,
    who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
 who satisfies you with good
    so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

17 comments:

Jen Kershner said...

She is creative like her Momma! I hope this college drop off day was a little easier for you this year and that she has another wonderful year at school!

gina smith said...

Love all the craftiness!!!! She is gonna have a great year.

christina said...

i love each one of the crafts! may her school year, be an awesome one.
xo

Jboo said...

Wow -- very cool!!

Brian and Amber said...

Beautiful!!! I was just thinking I needed to make a cork board jewelry hanger. I am so coping you my sweet friend! LOVE IT! Hope your doing wonderful.

Brian and Amber said...

Beautiful!!! I was just thinking I needed to make a cork board jewelry hanger. I am so coping you my sweet friend! LOVE IT! Hope your doing wonderful.

giosmama26@yahoo.com said...

I want the board, I want the prints. I want, I want, I want!!!
So very creative and beyond beautiful. Love it all.
Best of luck to her in the new school year.

Kerri said...

SMK did a great job with her art work! I am praying for a great year for her! XOXOXO

slip4 said...

Wonderful artwork! My niece is heading to UGA as a freshman. She went to a tiny Waldorf school with a graduating class of 14! Should be a bit of a transition but she is really excited.

Alecia said...

Gorgeous gorgeous crafts!!! I've gotta try all of those...the jewelry board...STUNNING!

3 Peanuts said...

WOW! it is all so cute. She did really well. Such creativity!!!!

Anonymous said...

will she be setting up an etsy shop? =)

melissa said...

Such crafty talents! Love these Paige .. I am thinking I may need to make the GA state / Atlanta for my son (Buck head housewarming gift!) ;)

Kelly said...

Beautiful! What a blessing to have a daughter creating such amazing works of art, and glorifying God, in her college sorority room. Goodness- I pray my girls will have hearts so pure at that stage. Thanks for sharing, it encourages me. (And inspires, I am totally going to copy, too!) :-)

Between You and Me said...

cool crafting, smk!
I love that board for the jewelry.....on my list of DIY projects.....

and, that psalm is one of my favorites....the benefits of God. LOVE.

Simply Southern said...

I am loving this post.. as an involved alpha chi alumna these are such cute ideas!

Lindsey said...

Loving all of Savannah's college crafting! So excited she gets to live in the sorority house this year...truly some of my favorite college memories happened inside the walls of my sorority house. I'm sure the same will be true for her!