Friday, June 17, 2011

things look better this morning

ok...sounds like things are looking much better. they still don't have an xray but feel like she's improving and maybe this is more of a bad high ankle sprain than a break.

randy called last night and felt she was doing well. he had her hooked up watching a movie on his computer, keely the nurse was with her, they were now able to ice ( with popsicles) her ankle.
he felt since she was doing ok, maybe we shouldn't skype and potentially get her emotional...and me too.

 randy is our youth pastor. randy has probably been the most influential person in my girls lives outside of our family. i have the highest respect for him and am so grateful he is watching over the team.

he promised he'd call me at 8 am.
sure enough, at 8 am my cell phone rang. he wanted to tell me she had slept all night and didn't want to wake her. but since he had  promised to call, he did. 
he called later and told me her leg looked much better. there were two areas of concern, an area on her shin and then one her ankle. her shin was not even causing her any pain this morning!
he felt that because she slept well & her pain seemed to have decreased that they were going to immobilize it and keep her on motrin. 
they'll be traveling to Lima on saturday which is where the best facility is. if they feel she needs xrays, they'll get them done there.
i trust him completely and agreed with his assessment.

the other good thing is with them being in Lima
this is part of the trip emi has greatly been looking forward to.
not as much hiking, i don't think, which is good since she's on crutches
and they'll be working in the orphanage.
so she can hold babies
and love on little ones.
perfect.

i thanked him profusely. i told him that not only was i glad that he was the group leader being a responsible protective man and all but he was filling me in with all the emotional details that any mama would need to hear. i told him all the details he was giving me made me feel just like there was a woman there. 

another funny. yesterday right after the accident randy had told emily that he really didn't like the discolored area on her foot and ankle. that the bruising really worried him. she quickly reassured him that it wasn't a bruise but rather that her foot was just really dirty. no surprise there.

yesterday when the accident occurred, they were literally in the middle of nowhere. they were at the base of the third highest mountain in the western hemisphere. several of the girls were taking a jumping shot that looked like they were jumping off the mountain. emi landed weird and rolled her ankle but since she jumped onto a rock from a few feet up, the potential that she fractured her shin was a good possibility. i'm sure she was embarrassed and anxious being in an area with no running water, no ice , no nothing. randy had witnessed the entire thing & even joked that a cheerleader should be able to jump and not injure herself. oh well.

two years ago , savannah broke her ankle. her 3rd or 4th broken bone. she continued to tumble at practice that day and then proceeded to drive herself home. after a fitful night with much pain, woke up the next morning , headed to the doc and found out she'd broke it. i feel so relieved that not only does emily appear better, but that she slept so well. hopefully these are good signs.

we hope to be able to skype with her tonight.

thank you immensely for your prayers. 
it gave me so much comfort last night knowing that i had friends lifting her up.
not that this is earth shattering or life and death
but i truly truly appreciate you.

i thank you from the bottom of my heart...
& i'm certain emily does too

35 comments:

Jackie said...

So grateful for the good news.
Love to all.
Jackie

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

So glad to hear things are looking better! It is so scary when things happen to our children when they are far from home! Last year my daughter had a bicycle accident in CT and we live in SC! It was hard dealing with her being in the emergency room and all that she was going through and me being so far away!
Continued prayers for quick healing!

Jboo said...

So relieved to read this news! I was so worried about her (and you too). How wonderful that there is such a great team watching out for her and the group. Will be keeping y'all in my prayers and watching for more updates.

Janet

Alecia said...

Wonderful update and I'm so thankful you have such a wonderful leader taking care of her.

Sounds like you have some tough girls.

Thanking the Lord for His faithfulness and comfort.

<><

Cheryl said...

I have no idea how I missed yesterdays blog... belated prayers, but it sounds as though things are looking better. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers~

3 Peanuts said...

Still praying and so thrilled the situation looks better today. We need to see that darned jumping photo!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Paige, just read both your posts about lovely Emi. Please know I am thinking of all of you, especially Emi....I am glad the news is better today. And she is clearly in excellent hands, in every way....phew xxxx

Leanne said...

Paige,
I have loved reading your blog.....your girls are so beautiful, inside and out!
I had to leave you a comment after reading about Emily's accident. I am so glad to hear she is doing better.
My 15 year daughter is leaving this Tuesday for Peru also!!
She went last year and LOVED it!
She came home a changed person. Also, she could not stop talking about the adorable children. They were so appreciative of everything. I believe it really opened her eyes to see how other people live, and how blessed we really are!
God will work wanders thru your sweet Emi.
I can't wait for you to hear all about it when she gets home.

SoSoBella said...

happy to hear.
xoxo

Tracey said...

I didn't get to post past night & am so happy to seemthis new post today. Sending up more prayers for emi & her mama. Sounds like she is in amazing hands.

a.love said...

PRAISE!!! Such great news!

Beach Coast Style said...

so glad to hear all is going a bit better and hope you are doing well also.

Debbie L. said...

So very thankful to hear this encouraging news! Sounds like Emi's leader is taking excellent care of her.

Paige, the Lord called Emi there for this mission and He will see her through :)

Praying for your sweet girl and you too Mom.

Judy said...

Wonderful news! When it's one of your own, it is earth shattering, no matter what it is.

I just know that God has His hand on Emi and will continue to heal her. She is on "His" work and He will honor that.

Blessings!
Judy

Tiffany said...

so glad all is well. i was praying even though i didn't comment on your previous post - i was praying!

my momma heart is reaching out to yours and folding over it in a big heart hug! my 13 year old is going away (not out of the country but out of stat) for a week of camp and I certainly understand what you must be feeling!!
xoxoTiffany

{A*very} Blessed Life said...

Oh I am so glad to hear this! I have praying for Emi since i heard the news of her ankle. I am glad she is in good hands,and I pray she continues to feel better. Bless her heart, and yours and Dan's. Keep us updated, sweet friend!

christina said...

i am going to keep praying. this is such good news.
i am here for you, if you need me.
xoxo

Katiebee said...

yeah!!!! so happy to hear the good news~

Susan R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan R said...

I'm so relieved to hear she is doing better. She is in our prayers.
Rest easy, when she gets to Lima, they will be able to look after her properly. Lima is a fairly modern city with good medical care.
Emi is on God's errand, she will be well. It sounds like she has wornderful people looking after her and I'm sure they will be overly cautious when it comes to her health.
Our continued prayers will be with your Emi and your family.

Anonymous said...

Offering praise for our answered prayers! Destiny

Jodi said...

what a relief! I was thinking about poor emi and you today, hoping that things were going to be okay! Kids....they are not happy unless they are scaring us to death! :)

Sounds like Randy has a great hand on everything; what a blessing!

Take care and hugs to you!
Jodi

ellieshine said...

thankful for better news!!

I'm praying for Emi!!

xo ellie

Cathie said...

So glad to hear Emi is improving and in good hands.Its morning now in Australia,but i was up last night waiting for my daughter to drive home from University.I was glad to be able to use the time praying for both our precious girls!xx

The Flying Bee said...

covering her in prayer...praise God for the good report!

xo,
Adrienne

Kat said...

So glad she's doing better today! I'll continue to pray for her and you throughout the remainder of her trip. xo kat

Privet and Holly said...

Oh, no!
I've been at
our State b-ball
tourney the last
few days and
didn't know....
ouch! Oh, I'm
so glad she is
in good hands.
And you are doing
great, Paige!!!
Off to read your
last post...
xx Suzanne

a' la mode said...

GOD IS GOOD!!! SO happy!!! Momma can rest a little easier now, right? Praise the LORD for Randy too! xoxo shelli

Bethanie said...

Thought about you and prayed for you thruout the day...thankful she appears to be doing better. He hears our prayers. :0)

Chez Zizi said...

So glad to hear everything sounds better. Will keep up with the prayers and hope today is an even better day.
Zizette

Lulu and Co. said...

Oh Paige , I'm catching up on bring gone a few a days....I'm praying for emi and her foot! I'm so relieved for you that she had a good night...will. Continue to keep my prayers going for her! I can just imagine what you must be going through....sending you extra hugs too,
xo,
LuLu

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} said...

Praising God that He has her in such great hands. I hope she gets to hold lots of babies!

Xo,
Linsey

Kelly said...

I have followed your blog for some time, but never commented before. Your posts very often remind me of how precious my own two girls are and what a gift they bring to my life.

My youngest, 17, is a working student this summer for her trainer - she is an avid eventing rider (horses). Though I miss her terribly, I know it is a great experience all around.

Glad to hear your daughter is ok - will keep her in my thoughts :)

Anonymous said...

just found your blog a few days ago and read a whole lot d backposts about emi's trip (and other things). I hadnt caught up with your previous post as I was too busy reading back! nevertheless God put it on my heart a couple of tunes to pray for her, totally out of the blue! it was encouraging cos I realized that with the time difference here to australia our amazing God was using your blog to cover emi in prayer even while her friends and family were sleeping!! Praise God that she seems to be alright, I will continue to pray that she seeks to give God the glory through all of this and that even this trial will be used to bring people to him durin her trip.
janelockrey(at)gmail(dot)com

Between You and Me said...

thankful she is okay.....