Monday, October 06, 2008

That's my girl

































I don't think my girls are perfect.


I try to be realistic about their strengths.


I try to minimize their weaknesses.


I try to acknowledge temperaments & birth orders when I correct them or evaluate how or why they do what they do.


I want to encourage them when I see them make great choices, when they do something kind for someone, when they try their best even if success doesn't follow.



I've tried to encourage them to be who they are, to find the "thing" they love & pour their heart into it. I don't want to live vicariously through them, as if my own teen experience wasn't fulfilling enough for me, as if i need their success to make me feel like a great mom or make me appear successful in the eyes of my own peers.


I want them to be individuals & be proud of the young ladies they are becoming.


I don't want them to feel competition amongst themselves. Its so hard for girls these days & I'm certain it must be hard for three of them, so close in age, to grow up & feel the society induced pressure to be just like the one before them.




While my desire for them is to have strong character, rooted and grounded in our faith , I don't want to make them be anything different than who God has created them to be.



I don't have a favorite even though you see more pictures of the baby :) But some days I do enjoy the company of one maybe more so than the other.....we are a house full of 5 women after all ( just keeping it real) & there are hormones and emotions to keep balanced!



But there are those days when I feel just an extra sense of pride for one of my girls. Saturday was one of those days. Savannah has always been very organized & responsible. She has great leadership skills . I have told her that she has always proven herself trustworthy & because of that , she has earned the priveldge of certain freedoms.


She had spent weeks trying to orchestrate all the details for her large group of friends & their homecoming plans. She didn't exclude anyone from her group, which made me proud because she herself had been excluded from another group. She took it like a champ & rounded up several of her favorite friends ~a great group of kids! She helped organize the picture location, the parents that would drive them downtown to the chosen ( reasonably priced) restaurant , & the home that they would all enjoy the after-party.



We shopped for her dress a few weeks ago. I had sort of dreaded shopping because I knew we needed to keep it in the budget & she tends to have expensive taste. Plus, how often do 15 year old girls & their moms agree on wardrobe choices. Went to Dillards & I found this gorgeous ivory dress, she loved it, I loved it , & it was in our budget. ( Can you believe that, I picked out the dress......I won't rub it in)



She spent Saturday afternoon doing all those wonderful things girls do before going out on a special night....she was cheerful & laid back.


Her two best friends were going to homecoming at a different school but dropped by on the way for some pictures. Savannah has a great sense of humor & helped them relax as they seemed a bit nervous about their own big night.


Savannah's date was her best guy friend. Her friends say they get along like Will & Grace ( except Zack isn't a gay guy!). So there would be no awkward feelings, no drama, just great fun.



When we arrived at the chosen picture place there were at least 10 couples & all their parents. Definitely a challenge to do large group photos. After taking what seemed like a million of the posed pics I could tell Savannah was getting frustrated ( too many cooks in the kitchen!). I whispered to her just walk off with her girlfriends & be silly~they love those shots the best.

She had a fabulous time. Most all the couples were all just great friends so we didn't have the worries of all the things that go along with boyfriend/girlfriend issues~whew.

I am always proud to be her mama, but I was extra proud of that sweet child of mine this past Saturday night!

31 comments:

Clare said...

I love your post!!! She looks beautiful, and I LOVE the dress. That is amazing that you picked it out, I hardly remember agreeing with my mom about anything at 15, much less clothing choices!!

I looks like a wonderful group, and I am sure they had a blast! I get some much inspiration from you, and the kind of mom I would like to be! Thank you:0 Clare

Kristin said...

In a word my friend.....,precious!

Caroline said...

Balance is what you have.That shows through in the way you bring up your beautiful girls.Every thing you said reflects the way i like to bring up my 3 precious children.
You are an inspiration to many through your blog and know doubt in your life.God bless. Caroline
Check out my blog to see my precious babes.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Hi Paige,

Your daughter looks stunning....

Your taste is impeccable....that dress is just perfect...how special that you picked it out for her!

Looks like a fun group, the photos were great...I especially liked the silly ones...you totally captured the moment!

This post was beautiful...one I am sure your daughters will love to look back on.

Have a great week!

Lisa

Leacayoungart said...

I love the way you posed them for these pictures. Adorable.

Kate said...

Paige,

Each of your daughters is prettier than the next. It sounds like you have every reason in the world to be proud of each one of them...and how lucky they are to have a mom with such down to earth insight...and unconditional love (for those days when "like" just doesn't work!)

Give yourself a pat on the back...well done...well done!!

Kate

Jboo said...

Fabulous pictures! Your girl just shines and sounds like the type of girl every mom would be so proud of! Very sweet!

Janet

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

How pretty these pictures are! Your daughter(s) are adorable.
So glad she has such a great mom to help her have such a great time!
Love the dress too!

Anonymous said...

You are raising your girls beautifully!
What a wonderful time for her... even if you did pick out the dress, an unbelievable feat for a mother if you ask me!
Happy Monday!
Best,
Bari

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

First - I loved every single image - you have a beautiful daughter - stunning and beautiful!

Second - what heartfelt word - OMG - I just loved every word you write! Some I can related to :D You have every right to be proud - what a wonderful job you have done!

Ladybug hugs,
;D

RobinfromCA said...

I love to check our your blog and see what lovely tribute you've written to one or all of your daughters. Savannah is beautiful and you and she are so blessed to have each other.

We are strong in our faith too and it is so difficult to bring up children, especially daughters, in today's environment and help them stay strong. Your daughter's seem just lovely. You and your husband can be very proud - the OK kind of pride. ;-)

Robin

cathypentonatelier said...

Beautiful, beautiful post my friend. Your have some amazing traditions in you country that I absolutely admire..Savannah and all her friends looked amazing and I know you are such a sweet and loving mum....Luv ya cxxxx

the tattered nest said...

oh I remember those days! bless her, she looks so happy!

3 Peanuts said...

I think you and your girls are perfect in that perfectly imperfect way.....You are beautiful and real. I love this post and I love the way you parents. It is truly reflected in each of your children (at least from where I sit).

Kim

Monique and Michael said...

I am very new to the blog world (just a month into it) and have already been inspired by so many wonderful women such as yourself. I found your blog via the nieniedialouges (isn't she amazing!) and I just had to tell you your beautiful words regarding your daughter brought me to tears. I have three young girls (4, 3 and 3 months) and everyday I pray to be 1/2 the mom I can tell you are. I hope you don't mind me, a stranger, reading and commenting on your life.

Kasey said...

what a beautiful daughter you have!!
proud mom!

Brittany said...

Ok, so now i'm addicted to your blog! I mostly read wedding and design blogs, but I have been reading yours for the last hour and I am loving it!
1)way to go on losing the pounds, I know personally it is so difficult!
2)your family is beautiful and I cannot wait to be a mother and read all of your inspiring ideas
3)you are in incredible photographer. wanna shoot my wedding next year?!

lehiharmers said...

i love your pictures!
this is my first time to your blog, saw the link on cjanes. do you take your own pictures?
what camera do you use? maybe the light is just more beautiful in georgia! :)
also love the tributes about your daughters-- beautiful.

amydc said...

I came over here from Nie's blog. Great post entry you wrote.
Your daughter is beautiful. The pics are great & they have a wonderful 'happy' feel about them.

amydc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amydc said...

oops. I hit post twice.

Unknown said...

So sweet. You are such a great mom!
♥Jen

melissa said...

Paige - your daughter is just beautiful. I love her dress too. Such fabulous photos of her and her girlfriends (all the guys too!). So funny, I have a picture of one of my sons lined up with lots of girls at homecoming last year.
Your post is a beautiful tribute to your daughter :)

Melissa

sugar said...

She is so beautiful! And you are a beautiful momma!

Courtney said...

Beautiful gals!!! Seriously, how do these girls look so grown up these days?! It appears that they all had a great time.

Take care!
Courtney

Unknown said...

Paige! What glorious photos friend! She looks so happy and that's the most important isn't it?! YES! She is fab! What a fun day/night for all of her 'good' friends!
I have missed you and wanted to pop by and say hello!
Hugs!

Bristol said...

What great pictures~ What a wonderful daughter you have raised.
Bristol

FrenchGardenHouse said...

What a beautiful post! You are a good Mom, encouraging and treasuring each one of your girls for who they are. Hooray for you! And they are beauties.:)

xo Lidy

Shawn Seay said...

I just found your blog today. Let me just say, Thank You. You have such a sweet spirit, and you are so uplifting.

The Golf Widow said...

I have just found your blog and I LOVE it! I have had a blog for a few months but never really visited many others.
Your girls are beautifuland all so talented.I have 4 daughters (first 3 in 3 years and 1, 3.5 years later).You give me a peek of the future.I hope my girls let me help pick their homecoming dresses one day!Thanks for sharing your family!

Deb said...

Savannah looked so beautiful! What an awesome post too Paige! You are such a wonderful mother to all of your girls...and how lucky they are to have you as their Mom!